Monday, September 21, 2009

Ideas For Personal Essay.

For my personal essay I have thought of two options:


-Becoming a Certified Nurse Assistant, my Junior year of high school.
*I went to Diman RVTHS and I was in the Health Carers Shop, I went to my academic classes for two weeks and shop for another two weeks to learn skills i needed to become a CNA. I spent three years in school learning the skills, and at the end of the third year, my Junior year, I was tested in my skills and was certified. My last year of high school i was on CO-OP which let me work at a Nursing Home for those two weeks of shop.

-Being diagnosed with Diabetes.
*the doctor diagnosed me with Diabetes the day before my eleventh birthday. I had been feeling sick for a few months before i went to the doctor but really didn't think anything of it. I had all the symptoms of Diabetes but I didn't know anything about it, so it never even crossed my mind. I went to Hasbro Children's Hospital and stayed there for a week and a half. I was terrified of needles and didn't know how i could handle having to take a needle three times a day, and checking my blood sugar four times a day.

For my essay I am thinking about writing about my Diabetes, because it is a really personal subject, but different opinions on what i should write about would be great.

2 comments:

  1. i think that the diabetes topic will be a good topic. its very personal and would make a great topic for this type of essay. maybe you could write about a specific experience you have had that involved your diabetes, or an experience where having diabetes made it more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CNA essay has possibilities, I think, but I wouldn't tell all about the whole process. Maybe a key experience when you first had a chance to work at the nursing home? (There would be lots of "colorful" though sad details there, I bet.)

    The diabetes one sounds fine too. But let me copy a few comments I made to another student about writing about disease: What will be your time frame? Are there particular memories you will describe? (Make sure they're recent enough to remember well.) The thing you need to think about is *why* write about this experience. What did it teach you? Is it something about difficulties of dealing with the disease? Has there been anything "positive" you learned from it? Did it create conflict or tension within your family? You don't need to address all of these questions, but you will need to have some sort of focus. You don't need to know what it is before you start writing, though--in the process of writing about the experience, you may decide what's important for you to communicate.

    ReplyDelete